So, I know it’s not Easter yet and, technically, I shouldn’t be eating Hot Cross Buns but I, for one, can’t resist picking up a packet when I’m wandering down the aisles of Tesco. They are just so yummy. The problem is, by the time Easter rolls around, I know there is a good chance I won’t want to eat another. So, with variety being the spice of life and all that, I decided to mix it up a bit this weekend and use them to make bread and butter pudding. It came out quite well, if I do say so myself, so I thought I would share the recipe….
To make you will need:
- 4 Hot Cross Buns
- Butter (enough for four buns)
- 350 ml milk
- 50 ml Cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
1. Cut the hot cross buns into three slices (horizontally). Butter.
2. Layer in an oven proof dish. If you prefer a sweeter pudding you can sprinkle sugar between the layers.
3. Mix the milk and cream together. Heat over a low heat, stirring constantly until warmed through, but not boiling.
4. Beat the eggs. Slowly add the milk the pour over the buns. Sprinkle over the sugar.
5. Bake at 180 for about 30 minutes.
The top will be golden brown. Serve straight away with cream, Crème fraîche, or ice-cream.