Sometimes (actually, a lot of the times), I really don’t want to slave away over the stove. I want something quick and easy. Other times, I really crave comfort food, something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This week, the two came together in a dish that I call a bake, even though it’s mainly made on the stove top, because I’m not sure what else to call it (ideas on a postcard or in the comments section please as it would be nice to have a more appropriate name).
I’m not sure when I started making this – it’s been at least ten years – or where the idea came from – most likely a cooking show, one of those where people give the chef random ingredients and ask them to make a gourmet meal because you can’t get ingredients more random than this. Regardless, though, it tastes great and is quick and easy to make. Plus, my family love it as much as I do, which makes it an win-win on lazy cooking nights.
To make it, you will need (per person)…
- 1/2 leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly slicked
- 150 ml (1/3 cup) of single cream
- two eggs
- 50g – 100g (1/2 – 1 cup) of strong cheddar, grated – I like a lot but I know other people aren’t as keen on things being too cheesy
- Salt and pepper to taste
Then, you need to…
- Using a small amount (a couple of tbsps.) of oil, e.g. olive oil or rape seed oil, sauté the leeks and peppers until they are soft – it’s o.k. if they are slightly brown
- Once, soft, add the cream, which will bubble and thicken quickly. Remove from the heat and stir through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crack the eggs onto the leek and pepper mix and top with cheese.
- Put under a hot grill until the cheese is melted and golden brown. This will have cooked the eggs. I find the high heat melts the cheese but keeps the jokes runny, which I like.
And that’s it. Eat and enjoy!
What do you think – is it’s something you’d enjoy? What is your comfort / go to food?